Monday, February 23, 2009

I hate to get political but....

It's hard not get political and WAY irritated when the government does things that you just really don't agree with! Should we be helping people? Of course! Should the government step in at some point...sure I guess. But can anyone tell me: what happened to states rights!? I'm all for state governments! Since when did we become a centrally dependent nation clinging for survival to a power-hungry, central, federal authority? The whole purpose of the original Union was to provide a central unit of balanced to bind, but not override, state governments. States were always meant to have their own power and to have certain rights allowing them to make decisions for their residents and specific state needs. This can't be any less important more than 200 years later and a country bigger than our forefathers could have imagined. If 12 New England colonies could have enough differences between each set of people and government to justify the importance of state and local government rights, why wouldn't 50 widely different states also need the same thing?

Take a look at this:

"The problem for these Governors is that they may be forced to spend the federal money whether they want it or not. Representative James Clyburn of South Carolina slipped a little-noticed provision into the stimulus bill giving state legislatures the power to overrule Governors and spend the money "by means of the adoption of a concurrent resolution." Most state legislatures are versions of Congress; they can't say no to new spending." -Wall Street Journal (online): Opinion: Governors v. Congress

"If funds provided to any state in any division of this act are not accepted for use by the governor, then acceptance by the state legislature, by means of the adoption of a concurrent resolution, shall be sufficient to provide funding to such state." -exact text as seen in the stimulus package, provided by http://www.newsbusters.org/


Here, now let's take a look at the 10th amendment:

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor
prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively,
or to the people." -http://www.gpoaccess.gov/constitution/html/amdt10.html

Ok, last I heard, it takes an amendment to override the Constitution or any other amendment! So, show me where the Constitution specifically delegates to the federal government the ability to override previously accepted systems in state government.

I just don't understand how this is ok with the senators and representatives in Washington! Perhaps it's because they don't know it's there? I mean, 1500 pages in less than 24 hours? Like anyone had time to read it. I love this country, and that's exactly why I have concerns.

No comments: