Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Sausage!

On Thursday, I got an invitation from a friend at work to make sausage with her family in Bakersfield. How could I pass up such an unexpected opportunity?!?! So, on Saturday, bright and early, we headed out to Bakersfield to join in the family fun. When we arrived at around 9 AM, the family already had the meat trimmed, cut, and ground!! Talk about early risers. My friend Katie and I helped weigh the meat, measure out the seasonings, mix the meat (which takes place in a big trough by scratching at the meat from one side to the other), and then prepare the pig's intestines for stuffing. Overall, we made 170 lbs of sausage!! What an experience! Afterwards, Katie's grandmother made a homestyle lunch. I felt like I was a farmer. Not only was sausage making fun, but the bonding experience was worth-while. NEVER pass up the chance to make sausage in Bakersfield.

Me and Katie in front of the 170 lbs of sausage. Awesome =)

(Hopefully, more pictures to come)

3 comments:

Will and Niki Allender said...

Wow! Waaaay cool :)

Jen in SLO said...

"NEVER pass up the chance to make sausage in Bakersfield."

Words to live by. :)

Emily said...

LOL Hey thanks Jen!